Xetrios

Discussion about Exploration Ships

14 posts in this topic

This thread is to share anything pertaining to exploration ships, so it may seem cluttered, but that's why i want a single thread for the topic, instead of 10+ separate threads about the same thing

Now, this video is about 2 years old, so take it with a grain of salt, but it's kind of exciting. This video shows the whitebox versions of the Freelancer Dur, the Constellation Aquila, and the Anvil Carrack.

along with the carrack, the freelancer and the constellation. I feel that the 315p will be a valuable exploration asset as we are trying for long distance exploration and jump point discovery. As there is jump points that are dependent on size of ship 

well you also forget the delta version for exploration (can't remember the variant sorry). Sure there are many other kinds of ships out there for exploration but i think as you step up in the size variations you get a look at what they're purpose is. While a mustang, 315p and freelancer may be great in small scale exploration (planets and asteroid belts) i'm not sure you're gonna want those doing what the carrack and aquila will known for. 

as far as the jump points this is only what CIG has shown us we aren't sure what all we'll be able to do regarding those. 

i think the carrack is your 5 hours exploration in ship no rest stops ship. If we have the ability to find rare and new jump points i think that's the ship you're gonna be in to do that. 

15 hours ago, Gstopper said:

along with the carrack, the freelancer and the constellation. I feel that the 315p will be a valuable exploration asset as we are trying for long distance exploration and jump point discovery. As there is jump points that are dependent on size of ship 

A long while ago, in one of the videos they gave us, we were told that there will be 3 sizes of jumppoints, the largest ship that can enter the smallest jumppoint size is a freelancer. I currently own a 315P for those lonely nights, however, i will soon upgrade it to a freelancer dur, as that ship is 1-2 people, I can still fly it alone and it can fit in the smallest jumppoint.

right, but they also haven't clarified if said jump point will only allow certain sizes and or if certain jump point may connect 2 random systems. ie. most unstalbe the further the jump?

I'm not sure which show it was on (an older one), but they said they would have different sized ones, I assume both large and small will be discoverable, but we'll see.

So, as of watching the livestream last night, particularly the bit featuring the Herald, I believe the Herald can be considered Exploratory. However, the ship is very versatile (it can be used for info running as its intended purpose, military radar, etc.), it can also be a small exploration vessel for 2 people. very fast, yet small, it would be fairly easy for the Herald to zip through and scan large, cluttered areas such as asteroid fields. I bought the Herald back when it was in concept, 2014 I believe, and I am excited to take this computer with thrusters through the stars and see what can be done with it in 2.6

I absolutely agree. The Herald will have a lot of Versatility and will definitely be fun to fly around. If you need a scanning operator, I'm interested in getting good at that.