Staffa

Which HOTAS to Purchase?

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Currently I am using the Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X which is ok, but at some point I want to upgrade to a better setup! 

I read that SC might bring out their own custom joystick\hotas so most likely wait and see what they have to offer but I am curious what everyone is using currently and how they like theirs.   

post-315-0-47900500-1429280634_thumb.jpg

I love my CH. It's a little pricey and not sexy, but people have 20 year old CH products that work like new. CH Control Manager makes it very easy to set up profiles, macros, and scripts. We can talk more about the particulars on TS if you have questions.

I use a thrustmaster t16000m + a logitech g13 game pad for now.  I would like to add a CH throttle in the future.  Lately I get the feeling that I really need to learn to fly with the mouse, but joystick is a lot more intuitive for me.  Looking forward to see what the Star Citizen branded HOTAS will be like, hopefully by end of year.

I have no problem using a mouse, specially when aiming weapons. But I hope CIG optiimize the game for Joystick users, I have also an Hotas X.

In the other hand, for FPS purposes, the mouse is the logical choice. It would be fine if FPS gamers come to SC to fill the massive amount of ships owned by actual backers.

I have the X55 and rudder pedals which I use for IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad. I found it very difficult to do certain maneuvers with this setup in Star Citizen. For example a barrel role while keeping guns on target is easy with mouse and keyboard and difficult with the HOTAS. With the mouse you just point it at the target, strafe forward and down (or any other direction), and add some roll. Once you start the maneuver all your mental energy goes into hitting your target using your mouse. With the HOTAS (and non gimbaled guns) you are aiming with your yaw (twist or rudder pedals) and pitch, and using forward strafe, left or right strafe, and roll, to perform the maneuver. So to hit the target and perform the maneuver your right hand has to be adjusting yaw, pitch and roll all at the same time, and your throttle hand needs to maintain forward and lateral thrust. That's complicated, and that's just one maneuver. My guess is that in the long run HOTAS may work better for larger ships (see the 10 for the designers episode 4), and mouse and keyboard will be king for the smaller more maneuverable ships.

My current solutions (this is still a work in progress) for Star Citizen is a mouse in my right hand, pedals at my feet, and a joystick in my left hand (Thrustmaster 16.000m is the only left hand one I could find). I love my X55 but for now it is relegated to WW2 simulators and not Star Citizen.

I love my CH. It's a little pricey and not sexy, but people have 20 year old CH products that work like new. CH Control Manager makes it very easy to set up profiles, macros, and scripts. We can talk more about the particulars on TS if you have questions.

I can not say enough great things about my CH Products HOTAS.  I am one of those people that purchased a Flightstick Pro back in 1996.  I broke a spring inside it once, back in 2000.  CH sent me a new set of springs at no charge.

asa-flightstick-pro.jpg

I decided to upgrade my controls when I found out about Star Citizen.  I switched to the newer throttle (for the thumb joystick) and the Combatstick.

Here is my current mapping:

CFG-Stick.jpg

CFG-Throttle2.jpg

These are a single profile.  The throttle can store three profiles.